India Engineering Services (Preliminary) Examination 2018 –
Date of Notification – 27.09.2017
Last Date for receipt of Applications – 23.10.2017
Exam Date – 07.01.2018 (SUNDAY)
Duration of Exam – 1 DAY
Engineering Services (Main) Examination 2018 –
Exam Date – 01.07.2018 (SUNDAY)
Duration of Exam – 1 DAY
Application form registration
Apply Online at Website www.upsconline.nic.in from from 27th September 2017 to 23rd October, 2017 till 18:00 Hours. Before filling the Online Application, a candidate must have his/ her photograph and signature duly scanned in the .jpg format in such a manner that each file should not exceed 40 KB each and must not be less than 3 KB in size for the photograph and 1 KB for the signature.
The candidates are required to pay a fee of Rs. 200/- (Rupees Twp Hundred Only) [excepting Female/SC/ST/PH candidates who are exempted from payment of fee] either by remitting the money in any branch of SBI by cash, or by using net banking facility of State Bank of India or by using any Visa/Master Credit/Debit Card.
A candidate for this examination must have attained the age of 21 years and must not have attained the age of 30 years on the 1st August, 2018 i.e., he/she must have been born not earlier than 2nd August, 1988 and not later than 1st August, 1997.
Upper Age Relaxation:-
(i) Up to maximum of five years if a candidate belongs to a Scheduled Caste or a Scheduled Tribe.
(ii) Up to maximum of three years in the case of candidates belonging to Other Backward Classes who are eligible to avail of reservation applicable to such candidates. The closing date fixed for the receipt of the application will be treated as the date for determining the OBC status (including that of creamy layer) of the candidates.
Minimum Educational Qualification:-
For admission to the examination, a candidate must have –
- obtained a degree in Engineering from a University incorporated by an Act of the Central or State Legislature in India or other Educational Institutions established by an Act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as Universities under Section 3 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956; or
- passed Sections A and B of the Institution Examinations of the Institution of Engineers (India); or
- obtained a degree/diploma in Engineering from such foreign University/College/Institution and under such conditions as may be recognised by the Government for the purpose from time to time, or
- passed Graduate Membership Examination of the Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (India);
- passed Associate Membership Examination Parts II and III/Sections A and B of the Aeronautical Society of India; or
- passed Graduate Membership Examination of the Institution of Electronics and Radio Engineers, London held after November, 1959 Provided that a candidate for the post of Indian Naval Armament Service (Electronics Engineering Posts) and Indian Radio Regulatory Service Gr ‘A’ may possess any of the above qualifications or the qualification mentioned below namely:-
- For Indian Naval Armament Service (Electronics Engg. Posts) – M.Sc. degree or its equivalent with Wireless Communication Electronics, Radio Physics or Radio Engineering as a special subject.
- For Indian Radio Regulatory Service – M.Sc. degree or its equivalent with Wireless Communication Electronics, Radio Physics or Radio Engineering as a special subject or Master’s Degree in Science with Physics and Radio Communication or Electronics or Telecommunication as a special subject.
The standard of paper in General Studies and Engineering Aptitude (Preliminary Stage-I Examination) will be such as may be expected of an Engineering/Science Graduate. The standard of papers in other subjects will approximately be that of an Engineering Degree Examination of an Indian University. There will be no practical examination in any of the subjects. General Studies and Engineering Aptitude (Preliminary Examination/Stage-I, Paper I, Objective type, Common to all Candidates)
1. Current issues of national and international importance relating to social, economic and industrial development
2. Engineering Aptitude covering Logical reasoning and Analytical ability
3. Engineering Mathematics and Numerical Analysis
4. General Principlesof Design, Drawing, Importance of Safety
5. Standards and Quality practices in production, construction, maintenance and services
6. Basics of Energy and Environment: Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, Climate Change, Environmental impact assessment
7. Basics of Project Management
8. Basics of Material Science and Engineering
9. Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) based tools and their applications in Engineering such as networking, e-governance and technology based education.
10. Ethics and values in Engineering profession.
Note: The paper in General Studies and Engineering Aptitude will include Knowledge of relevant topics as may be expected from an engineering graduate, without special study. Questions from all the 10 topics mentioned above shall be set. Marks for each Topic may range from 5% to 15% of the total marks in the paper.
Download the notification document from here.
Previous year question paper
Download the previous year IES 2017 question paper here.