1. Answer the following questions briefly.
A. Which winds bring rainfall in India? Why is it so important?
Ans. The monsoon winds bring rainfall in India. It is important because agriculture in India is dependent on rains.
B. Name the different seasons in India.
Ans. The different seasons in India are:-
- Cold weather season (winter)
- Hot weather season (summer)
- South west monsoon season (rainy)
- Season of retreating monsoons (autumn)
C. What is natural vegetation?
Ans. The grasses, shrubs and trees, which grow on their own without interference or help from human beings are called natural vegetation.
D. Name the different types of vegetation found in India.
Ans. The different types of vegetation found in India are:
- Tropical rain forests or evergreen forests
- Tropical deciduous forests
- Thorny bushes
- Mountain vegetation
- Mangrove forests
E. What is the difference between evergreen forest and deciduous forest?
- Opposite of deciduous is known as evergreen where foliage persist throughout the entire year.
- Deciduous trees are adapted to tolerate the cold and dry weather conditions by shedding their leaves seasonally, whereas evergreens do not.
- Evergreens can survive under low nutrient levels in the soil. But a huge portion of internal nutrients is removed during the defoliation in deciduous trees.
- Nutrient requirement of evergreens is somewhat high during bad weather conditions due to need of the foliage maintenance. But in the case of deciduous plants it is high after the harsh time because of renewal of the foliage.
- Deciduous plants are more sensitive to changes in temperature and rain fall than evergreen plants.
F. Why is tropical rain forest also called evergreen forest?
Ans. The tropical rain forest is also called evergreen forest because trees in these forests shed their leaves at different times of the year. Therefore, it remains green throughout the year.
2. Tick the correct answers.
(a) The world’s highest rainfall occurs in
(i) Mumbai (ii) Asansol (iii) Mawsynram
(b) Mangrove forests can thrive in
(i) saline water (ii) fresh water (iii) polluted water
(c) Mahogany and rosewood trees are found in
(i) mangrove forests
(ii) tropical deciduous forests
(iii) tropical evergreen forests
(d) Wild goats and snow leopards are found in
(i) Himalayan region
(ii) Peninsular region
(iii) Gir forests
(e) During the south west monsoon period, the moisture laden winds blow from
(i) land to sea (ii) sea to land (iii) plateau to plains
3. Fill in the blanks.
(a) Hot and dry winds known as ________________ blow during the day in the
(b) The states of Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu receive a great amount of rainfall during the season of________________.
(c) _____________ forest in Gujarat is the home of ________________.
Gir, Asiatic lions
(d) _____________ is a well-known species of mangrove forests.
(e) ____________ are also called monsoon forests.
Tropic deciduous forest