Arunachal Pradesh Statehood Day is celebrated on February 20th every year. The day marks the creation of the state of Arunachal Pradesh, which became a full-fledged state of the Indian Union on February 20, 1987. Arunachal Pradesh is the northeastern most state of India and is known for its natural beauty and diverse culture. On this day, various cultural programs and events are held across the state to celebrate its statehood and showcase its unique cultural heritage.
What are some cultural programs of Arunachal Pradesh?
Arunachal Pradesh is a culturally diverse state with many ethnic groups, each with its unique cultural traditions and practices. Here are some of the cultural programs that are commonly held in Arunachal Pradesh to showcase its diverse culture:
- Folk dances: There are many different traditional folk dances in Arunachal Pradesh, such as the Aji Lamu, Chalo, Ponung, and Rekham Pada, among others. These dances are usually performed during festivals, weddings, and other cultural events.
- Music: Traditional music is an essential part of Arunachali culture. Many different musical instruments are used, including the bamboo flute, the gong, the trumpet, and the kham. There are also several different types of traditional songs, such as the Dui Dui, Rikam Pada, and Popir, among others.
- Festivals: Arunachal Pradesh is home to many festivals, each with its unique customs and traditions. Some of the most famous festivals include the Losar Festival of the Monpas, the Ziro Music Festival, the Nyokum Yullo Festival of the Nyishi tribe, and the Si-Donyi Festival of the Tagin tribe, among others.
- Crafts: Arunachal Pradesh is known for its handicrafts, such as the bamboo and cane products of the Adi tribe, the traditional weaving of the Apatani tribe, and the handloom products of the Monpas. These crafts are often on display at cultural events and festivals.
- Traditional sports: There are many traditional sports and games that are played in Arunachal Pradesh, such as archery, wrestling, and various forms of martial arts. These sports are often demonstrated at cultural events and festivals.
These are just a few examples of the cultural programs and events that are held in Arunachal Pradesh. Each of these events plays a vital role in showcasing the state’s unique cultural heritage and traditions.
Why Arunachal Pradesh is strategically important to India?
Arunachal Pradesh is a strategically important state for India due to several reasons:
- Geopolitical Location: Arunachal Pradesh is situated in India’s northeastern region, sharing borders with China, Bhutan, and Myanmar. It is India’s largest northeastern state, covering an area of 83,743 square kilometers. Its strategic location provides India with a vital foothold in the region, which is important for India’s regional security and stability.
- Natural Resources: Arunachal Pradesh is rich in natural resources, including hydropower, timber, and minerals. The state has the potential to generate up to 50,000 MW of hydropower, which can be utilized for both domestic use and export.
- Border Security: Arunachal Pradesh shares a 1,080 km-long border with China, which is a subject of dispute between the two countries. It is important for India to secure its borders with China, and Arunachal Pradesh plays a critical role in this regard.
- Military Presence: Arunachal Pradesh is home to several military bases, including the Indian Army’s 4 Corps in Tezpur and the Indian Air Force’s Eastern Air Command in Shillong. These bases are strategically important for India’s defense preparedness, and their location in Arunachal Pradesh provides India with a strategic advantage.
- Ethnic Diversity: Arunachal Pradesh is home to more than 25 different ethnic groups, each with its unique cultural heritage and traditions. The ethnic diversity of the state is an essential aspect of India’s cultural diversity, and its preservation and promotion are important for India’s social and national cohesion.
If you want to know Why China is interested in Arunachal Pradesh especially in the region of Tawang, then I have a video on this topic. Watch it!